Burna Boy and his song “Way Too Big” feature in eye-catching campaign for the collaboration Beats by Dr. Dre (Beats) and AMBUSH® today announce a special-edition Powerbeats–designed to take you from day to night with its glow-in-the-dark capabilities, high-performance sound, sweat- and water-resistance and co-branded, ripstop pouch. The release marks the first official collaboration by Beats and AMBUSH®, as well as the first glow-in-the-dark product ever by Beats.
Yoon Ahn, the co-founder and creative director for Tokyo-based label AMBUSH®, is known for her non-traditional, unisex designs that elevate every-day objects and merge together unexpected elements of streetwear, jewelry, luxury fashion and the local subcultures of her city. With this partnership, Yoon was inspired by the creative spark that can come from your nocturnal side — especially when living in a city like Tokyo, which comes to life at night with a particular energy.
“I live in the middle of Shibuya and I am always inspired by how the city just glows at night time,” said Yoon. “I thought it would be really cool to design a product that could capture that same city energy when you’re outside late at night listening to music. This collaboration was designed for everyone who is confident, having fun, being creative and trying new things — those kids always seem to glow the brightest.”
Learn more about Yoon’s creative process HERE.
To accompany the collaboration, Beats and Yoon tapped Burna Boy, a Nigerian artist celebrated for his genre-blending Afro-fusion music, to star in the campaign. While the spot’s visuals play on the transcendence of night, Burna Boy discusses how music is unifying on a global scale, his positivity about the future and his hope for the future generation of Africans to know themselves and be proud of who they are. The spot also features Burna Boy’s song “Way Too Big” from his recently released album Twice as Tall.
Please find all assets including hi-res product and campaign images and video HERE.
ABOUT POWERBEATS – AMBUSH® Special Edition
- Wireless, high-performance earphones with glow-in-the-dark capabilities. A contrasting red “b” badge and AMBUSH® logo are featured on each earbud.
- Co-branded ripstop pouch for security and easy portability
- Powerful, balanced audio, delivering pure sound reproduction, enhanced clarity and dynamic range
- Equipped with a rounded cable that is routed from the rear of the ear hooks for a natural, ergonomic contour around the neck
- 15-hour battery life on full charge
- IPX4 rating sweat and water resistant
- Powered by the Apple H1 chip, enabling for faster setup, pairing, and switching time between iCloud devices
- Hands-free with “Hey Siri” on iOS devices to effortlessly change volume, switch tracks, and make calls Class1 Bluetooth® provides extended range and fewer dropouts
- Includes Fast Fuel technology, a 5-minute charge gives up to 1 hour of playback when battery is low.
- Two-way volume rocker and playback controls directly on the earbuds to power on/off, play/pause, activate Bluetooth, change tracks, activate voice assistant and take calls
- Dual beamforming microphones and a speech-detecting accelerometer to target voices and filter out external noise
- Eartips with four size options and lightning to USB-A charging cable are included
Beats by Dr. Dre (Beats) is a leading audio brand founded in 2006 by Dr. Dre and Jimmy Iovine. Through its family of premium consumer headphones, earphones and speakers, Beats has introduced an entirely new generation to the possibilities of premium sound entertainment. The brand’s continued success helps bring the energy, emotion and excitement of playback in the recording studio back to the listening experience for music lovers worldwide. Beats was acquired by Apple Inc. in July 2014.
YOON founded AMBUSH® along with VERBAL in 2008 as an experimental line of jewelry ‒ innovative pop art inspired designs capturing a distinct Tokyo aesthetic. The iconic trademarked POW!® motif received wide media coverage around the world. With apparel created as a canvas to complete the aesthetic YOON envisioned, AMBUSH® evolved into designing unisex ready-to-wear collections. The brand made its Paris debut in 2015 with YOON and VERBAL being listed as two of Business of Fashion’s Top 500 people influencing the global fashion industry for 4 consecutive years since 2015. In 2017 AMBUSH® was selected as one of the top 8 finalists for the LVMH PRIZE. Yoon has also been the Jewelry Director for Dior Men since SS 2019 collection.
ABOUT BURNA BOY
Burna Boy was born in Port Harcourt City and started producing music when he was ten years old. After graduating from school, Burna relocated to London for university. After two years, he dropped out and moved back to Nigeria to pursue his passion. A creative by the name of LeriQ allocated studio space for Burna to record and produce. His father always listened to dancehall and reggae music, an early influence and integral part of his musical style. Burna’s grandfather managed Fela Kuti for the first 15 years of his career, a relationship that would come to shape Burna’s sound and his understanding of himself as an artist that represents Nigeria, and more broadly Africa, to the world. Burna Boy classifies his own music as Afro-fusion, a genre he coined.