– 14 November 2022
– Nigerian music superstar, Burna Boy, has been crowned the Best Africa Act at the “MTV EMAs” 2022. Announced during the pre-award ceremony, the Award saw Burna edge other nominees including Ayra Starr (Nigeria), Black Sherif (Ghana), Musa Keys (South Africa) and Zuchu (Tanzania) following a widely successful 2022.
Taylor Swift was the queen of the night earning four awards at the “MTV EMAs” 2022 held at the PSD Bank Dome in Düsseldorf, Germany. Taylor Swift took top awards including “Best Artist,” “Best Video,” “Best Pop” and “Best Longform Video” for “All Too Well (10 Minute Version) (Taylor’s Version).” Nicki Minaj was awarded “Best Song” for “Super Freaky Girl,” and “Best Hip Hop,” while Harry Styles won “Best Live.”
Hosted by Rita Ora and Taika Waititi, the live global music celebration featured electrifying performances from chart-topping artists and honoured fan favorites across 20 categories. The show also featured a moving performance by Ukrainian Band Kalush Orchestra with a powerful display of support for Ukraine.
Show host Rita Ora won “Best Look ‘Personal Style'”, while “Video for Good” went to Sam Smith feat. Kim Petras for “Unholy.”
The “Best Collaboration” award went to David Guetta and Bebe Rexha for “I’m Good (Blue)” while Guetta also nabbed “Best Electronic,” and new EMA category “Best Metaverse Performance” went to BLACKPINK The Virtual PUBG Mobile.
On a night that saw EMA hosts Rita Ora and Taikia Waititi bring the fashion and the fun with unforgettable looks and show moments, David Guetta and Bebe Rexha opened the performances with their hit song “I’m Good (Blue)”, with Guetta DJing from a massive riser and Rexha swinging onto the stage. Stormzy performed his ballad “Fire Babe” for the first time on TV, creating an intimate show moment with kinetic lighting and special guest vocalist, Debbie.
SPINALL, Äyanna and Nasty C closed the night performing “Power” flanked by roller skaters with tracking devices that made the lights on the stage form funky patterns.
This year’s “MTV EMA Generation Change Award” honourees are three resilient Ukrainian women – Lina Deshvar, Anna Kutova and Anfisa Yakovina – who are fighting for the care and rights of those impacted by the humanitarian crisis in Ukraine. Their work includes providing shelter for refugees, evacuating and caring for families raising children, adolescents and young people with disabilities, providing art and group therapy for women and families who have been separated from their families and more. The recipients were honoured during the MTV EMA Red Carpet show which was broadcast live on MTV globally and streamed on MTVEMA.com.
Repeat broadcast of the MTV EMAs 2022 will air on MTV EMA awards on MTV, DStv channel 130 at 19:53 tonight, 14 November 2022
FULL LIST OF “MTV EMA” 2022 WINNERS:
- Best Africa Act – Burna Boy
- Best Song – Nicki Minaj – Super Freaky Girl
- Best Video – Taylor Swift – All Too Well (10 Minute Version) (Taylor’s Version)
- Best Artist – Taylor Swift
- Best Collaboration – David Guetta & Bebe Rexha – I’m Good (Blue)
- Best Live – Harry Styles
- Best Pop – Taylor Swift
- Best New – SEVENTEEN
- Best K-Pop – Lisa
- Best Latin- Anitta
- Best Electronic – David Guetta
- Best Hip Hop – Nicki Minaj
- Best Rock – Muse
- Best Alternative – Gorillaz
- Best R&B – Chlӧe
- Best Longform – Taylor Swift – All Too Well (10 Minute Version) (Taylor’s Version)
- Video For Good – Sam Smith Unholy (ft. Kim Petras)
- Biggest Fans – BTS
- Best Push – SEVENTEEN
- Best Metaverse Performance – BLACKPINK The Virtual PUBG Mobile
- Best Look ‘Personal Style’ – Rita Ora
- Generation Change – Lina Deshvar, Anna Kutova and Anfisa Yakovina
About the MTV EMAs
One of the biggest global music awards shows of the year that celebrates the hottest artists from around the world, the MTV EMAs bring music fans a unique, multi-platform experience across MTV’s global network in more than 170 countries and Comedy Central in Germany on 13 November. It will be available on Paramount+ globally beginning November 14th. Follow @MTVEMA on Facebook, Twitter, TikTok and Instagram, and join the conversation with #MTVEMA.
ABOUT PARAMOUNT AFRICA
Multimedia entertainment powerhouse Paramount offers the most comprehensive international broadcast portfolio on the African continent, reaching more than 100 million viewers across 48 territories in Africa. Paramount currently comprises 10 separate TV channels and 5 consumer websites, as well as multiple mobile and social media sites. The company’s African business interests include content production and distribution; spot sales, 360-degree sponsorships, events, mobile, digital and consumer products.